Come into the Silver Spring Library this summer for some extra special programs designed to educate, entice, and entertain you and your children. Here is a sampling of the extraordinary programs associated with Summer Reading. We have a wealth of stellar programs for children this summer. There's truly something for everyone. Click here to check out our events.
- Blue Sky Puppet Theater presents "The Babysitter". Find out what happens when puppeteer Michael is suddenly asked to babysit two children. Will it be fun or a disaster? A program for preschool and elementary school children and their families. Saturday, June 17 at 11:00 AM. Free tickets available at the customer service desk 30 minutes before the program begins.
- Energy Express presented by the Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection. Come learn about renewable energy and energy efficiency in a fun and interactive hands-on way. For ages 6-10, no younger siblings. Parents are encouraged to stay and help. Tuesday, June 20 at 2:00 PM. Register online.
- Harry Potter Day: 20th Anniversary. Witches, wizards, and non-magical folk are all
- Maryland Zoo presents "Going, Going, Gone". Every day more species and habitat vanish. Find out how our actions impact our world and learn ways we can protect the richness of life on our planet. Preschool and elementary age children. Free tickets are available at the customer service desk 30 minutes before the beginning of the program. Space is limited. July 8 at 11:00 AM.
- Keshius Williams. Listen to this bubbly, energetic storyteller who engages children of all ages through sing-a-longs and interactive participation. Children will learn about the meaning of friendship, how to treat people the way you want to be treated, and to love the skin you are in. For all ages. July 13.
- Margie Lynch the Bubble Lady. The Bubble Lady creates smoke bubbles, square bubbles,
- Magical Math Tour, with Brian Curry. Energize your
children with laughter, cheers and applause while they review important mathematical concepts. In addition to great math content, this show helps relate math to their everyday lives.
- How to Draw Cartoons. For ages 10 to 18. Teens and tweens! Do you like to draw? Do you want to be a cartoonist? Join cartoonist Paul Merklein as he shows you how to draw cartoons! Bring your imagination and be ready to have fun drawing! Registration is required. July 24 at 1:00 PM.
- Pajama Storytimes. July 3 and August 7 at 7:00 PM
- Preschool Storytimes. July 11 and August 8 at 2:30 PM. For ages 3 to 5 years.
- Baby Storytimes. All summer on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 11:30 AM. Ages 0 to 18 months. Tickets given out starting 30 minutes before the program.
- Toddler Storytimes. All summer on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:30 AM. Ages 18 to 36 months. Tickets given out starting 30 minutes before the program
- Amharic Storytimes. In English and Amharic on June 24 and July 31.
- Spanish Storytimes. July 8 and August 5 at 11:00 AM.
- Paperspace. Come create! Each week we'll have a new paper based project for you to make. Adult supervision is required for children 8 and under. Friday evenings June 16, 23 and 30, July 6, 14, 21, 28, and August 4
- Dance Your Fanny Off! Come dance with us! Sing, dance, and play as you work on fine motor, listening, spatial, and social skills. For walkers up to age 5. Siblings welcome. July 15 and 29. August 12 and 26.
- Grandreaders. Could your rising K-3rd grader use a little extra reading help this summer? Senior volunteers from the Jewish Council on Aging, Heyman Interages Center will be on hand to provide one-on-one assistance. No registration required. Located in the reading nook, please sign in upon arrival.
- Read to a Dog. Are you a beginning reader? Do you know someone who wants to improve his/her confidence and reading skills? Come read to a dog! They never correct, judge, or interrupt. Volunteers from the organization People Animals Love and their canine friends will be on hand to listen. June 20, July 18, and August 15 at 7:00 PM.
- Weekend Legos. Children are invited to drop in for to build, create, and play with our
Have a great reading summer!