- has a waiting list
- or that audiobook you want to listen to isn't at Silver Spring Library
- or that next book in the series you love is on order and you are not sure exactly when it will arrive
- or that 3rd season of your favorite TV series isn't in at Silver Spring right now.
Well, you can place a hold on the item. We have 21 library branches in Montgomery County, and it is routine to have items shipped from one branch to another for our customers. It's a fairly easy process and you can do it yourself online or ask a librarian to help you. Check out Placing and Managing Holds on our website.
How do I place a hold online?
- First, look up the item you want from our online catalog and check availability. The catalog is
- Then you can select at which branch you would like to pick up your hold.
- You have a choice when you pick up a hold at Silver Spring Library. You may pick up your hold inside the library by selecting Silver Spring Library, OR you can select the Hold Lockers at Silver Spring. See more information on that below.
How do I pick up my hold?
- Remember, holds get pulled from shelves once a day. If the item is available on a library shelf, it can take from 3 to 5 weekdays to transfer between branches. If you need an item before that, come in to the library or call us at 240-773-9420.
If you have email notification with the library, we will let you know by email when your hold is ready. If not, you will get a postcard by regular mail. Email is definitely faster, so think about requesting email notification. Email notification is needed to use our hold lockers and for e-book holds. You can request email notification here.
Pick up your hold within 10 days of being notified. There is a $1 fee for items not retrieved or cancelled. Holds are kept on the 3rd floor in the room with the DVDs. Just look under your last name, find your hold, and check it out!How do I use Silver Spring Library's hold lockers?
Silver Spring's hold lockers are located on the south side of the library building, next door to Crescent Condominiums on the alley. You'll see them right on the wall, near our book drop. Items sent there can be picked up 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Items must be picked up within 3 days of notification.
It is so easy when you're out and about doing errands to do a quick pick up of your hold!
Enter the last 5 digits of your library card number into the keypad and your locker will open. When you take out your item, it is automatically checked out!What about e-books?
Yes, even e-books have holds. For an electronic holds in Maryland's Digital eLibrary Consortium (Overdrive), RBdigital, or cloudLibrary, you will be taken to one of our e-book databases which may ask you to select Montgomery County Public Libraries and enter your card number and pin number. Once you are notified by email of the e-book's availability, you have 3 days to check out your hold, which you do within the app where you placed the hold.
What if I want something not owned by MCPL?
If we don't own it, you can try checking our Marina system which checks other public libraries in Maryland or our Interlibrary Loan services (accessed through Marina).
|Silver Spring Library|
So get that item you want! Place a hold. Ask us at the library for more information on holds, too. We want you to have what you want to read, watch, or listen to!