The new Silver Spring Library's first summer is drawing to a close. There was lots of good feeling and good music to end the summer as Incwell performed out in our courtyard. Fans of reggae/hip hop fusion listened, and some toddlers got into the beat by dancing right up front. September brings new beginnings—back to school and back to work. Our brand new building means we can start off the fall with a wealth of programs and events, such as our book discussion groups. Check them all out on our branch webpage.
Book Discussions for AdultsThe Evening Book Discussion Group generally meets at 7:30 PM on the first Monday of each month, although September's meeting happens the Tuesday after Labor Day. The first selection is One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus.
The Afternoon Book Discussion Group meets at 2:00 PM on the second Thursday of the month. Its first selection is The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's darkest journey by Candice Millard.
The African-American Book Discussion Group meets at 6:30 PM on the first Wednesday of the month (except January and July.) The first selection is Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
And more . . .
- Writers' Groups: Check out our Teen Writers' Club or Silver Spring Writers' Meetup Group.
- English Conversation Club: Practice your English in a friendly group led by a native English speaker.
- Fun and Relaxation: We offer Morning Flow Yoga as well as Yoga & Meditation. Try Nontraditional Board Games for adults. Chess Club is open for adults, teens and elementary school students.
- Storytimes: Baby and Toddler storytimes, French/English bilingual Storytime, Spanish Storytime, Amharic/English Storytime, Preschool STEM Storytimes, and Pajama Storytimes. Quite a list.
- Children's Math and Computer Programs: Try our Crazy 8's Math Club for Grades 3 to 5 beginning September 21. That's bouncy dice explosions, glow-in-the-dark geometry, toilet paper Olympics and more. How about Computer Coding, also for Grades 3 to 5?
September is also Library Card Sign Up Month! What's free and offers infinite opportunities for entertainment, recreation, information and education? Your library card! Sign up for a card today; visit any MCPL branch or apply online.